If you ended up sitting on a horse without a saddle, the horse may take you on a walk across the world. That is unless you get off the horse first and here’s how to do that in Minecraft.
To get off a horse on a PC just press left shift on your keyboard. The controls vary depending on the edition and the platform of the game so below you will find how to get out of and on a boat in Minecraft on any platform.
Keybinds To Get Off a Horse on All Platforms
Before you end up in the middle of nowhere you need to use the dismount keybind. Here are the keybinds to get off a horse in Minecraft on all platforms:
- Java Edition (PC/Mac): press left shift
- Pocket Edition (PE): press the center button twice
- PlayStation: press the Right Stick (RS) on the controller
- Xbox: press the Right Stick (RS) on the Xbox controller
- Windows 10 (Bedrock) Edition: press the left shift or space key
- Nintendo Switch: press the Right Stick (RS) on the controller
- Education Edition: press left shift
Keybinds To Get On a Horse on All Platforms
Getting on the horse is just as easy. Although get ready to be knocked down if that’s a new horse you are trying to tame. We will touch on taming in the next section but here are the controls to get on a horse in Minecraft:
- Java Edition (PC/Mac): right click on the horse
- Pocket Edition (PE): aim at the horse and press Mount
- PlayStation: press the L2 button on the controller
- Xbox: press the LT button on the controller.
- Windows 10 (Bedrock) Edition: right click on the boat
- Nintendo Switch: press the ZL button on the controller
- Education Edition: right click on the boat
Taming and Riding a Horse in Minecraft
Finally, we’ll touch briefly on how to actually tame and ride a horse in Minecraft. Because if you managed to get on it, doesn’t mean you will be able to ride it immediately.
To tame your horse you need to either feed it food (apples seem to work best) until the hearts appear when taming an animal. Another way is to keep trying to get on it and ride it. The horse will knock you off, but eventually, you will be able to tame it.
Once the horse is tamed you still won’t be able to properly ride it. You can sit on it, but you won’t be able to control it. For that, you will need a saddle that can be found in chests in many dungeons in Minecraft.
If you have any, you can even put on horse armor to make your horse stronger and faster. But that is something that you can aim to do later on in the game.