Sims 4 is a simulated world in which you have the power of creation (by creating Sims, you are creating a life, be it virtually). You have the authority to make your Sims’ life decisions in whichever aspect you want. Whether you want your Sim to be an actor, singer, writer, or in any other profession. Additionally, you can also get a pet in Sims 4, to keep yourself some company in this vast world.
Whether it’s a real-world or a virtual world, anyone can feel isolated without a companion. You can have a partner or a family in the game, but there is one more kind of companion to humans known as “man’s best friend”. Yes, you guessed it right. You can keep a pet in Sims 4.
Pets are one of the most interesting things added to The Sims 4. Pets have been around since The Sims 1 and are also a big part of our real life. So it’s no wonder that The Sims 4 needs them too. Fortunately, Cats & Dogs DLC has added two of the most popular pets in the game. Now you can get your pet to your sim at any time.
So if you want to add a Cat or Dog as a pet in your family you are at the right place. We will guide you on how you can get the pet in Sims 4 in no time.
How to Get a Pet in Sims 4?
Gone are the days of going to the pet store. In The Sims 4, if you want a pet to join your family, you need to adopt it. There are two most common methods in Sims 4 to get a pet for your Sim. Before that kindly note that you will need to have the Cats & Dogs expansion pack to get the pet of your choice. So let’s begin with the first method of getting a pet in Sims 4.
Adopting Pets in Sims 4 for Free
There is a way in which you can adopt a pet for free but they would be stray pets. So if you are into adopting stray pets, you can choose this option. Following are the steps to adopt stray pets in Sims 4:
- Hover your mouse on the pet, if the word “Stray” appears on their nameplate that means they do not have an owner and your Sim can befriend them.
- Now, press the shift key and click on the pet (either Cat or Dog), and then some options pop up. Choose “Add to Family”.
There you have it! Now the cute little pet you love is a member of your family. Your Sim can now befriend the pet and raise the meter of their relationship high enough. Kindly note here generally stray pets are breedable, so if you want an offspring, it is a blessing in disguise.
Adopting Pets via Animal Shelter
If you want your pet to be healthier, you can call the Animal shelter and they will provide you with the best pets. This is the far best method to adopt a dog and all your Sim needs to have is a laptop or a cell phone.
- Click on the phone next to your Sim’s picture and click on the “Hire a Service” option.
- A pop-up notification will appear. Scroll down the bottom until you find the ‘Adopt Cat’ or ‘Adopt Dog’ option then select the pet you would like to adopt.
- Again, another pop-up window will appear showing you a list of all dogs or cats that are currently available for adoption. They have a name and if you hover over them, you will see the breed and age (a puppy/kitten or an adult), gender, whether they can have babies, and their characteristics.
- Select the pet that you want to adapt and then click on the checkmark.
- An agent will arrive with the pet in a crate, so your Sim can have the interaction with the pet for a while, and once you are happy with that little cute one, you can adopt them by clicking on the “Adopt” option. For that, you have to pay 200 Simoleons.
- A pop-up notification will appear, that asks “ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO ADOPT THIS PET?” All you have to do is to click “Ok”.
- At long last, you have now adopted the pet! If you want to change the name of your pet to something else you can also do that.